Sinclair Community College has been awarded a $50,000 planning grant to participate in the national initiative, Achieving the Dream. This is an inititative seeking to promote strategies to improve student success in community colleges.
Achieving the Dream is designed to assist students:
- Complete remedial courses and move on to credit-bearing courses,
- Enroll in and complete “gatekeeper” courses, such as introductory math and English,
- Complete the courses they take, earning a grade of “C” or higher,
- Re-enroll from one semester to the next, and
- Earn certificates or degrees
Sinclair Community College will be using the 2005-06 academic year to analyze its current data, conduct student and community focus groups, and make change recommendations to improve future student success rates. During the year, the College will examine quantitative and qualitative student data to discover what college areas might be best served through more extensive study.
Once the data has been reviewed and examined, the college will use the results of that research to seek an Implementation Grant from AtD that will allow the college to systematically change identified processes and procedures to promote stronger student success.