A-Term Honors Course Declaration Forms are due May 30, 2014.
Academic Honors offers many rewards:
- Availability of Sinclair Academic Excellence Scholarships
- Opportunity to participate in Service Learning
- Academic challenge and personal enrichment
- Honors designation on transcript
- Special commendation as an Honors Scholar after completing required courses
- Attendance at regional meetings of Honors students and faculty from other colleges and universities
- Better preparation for entering baccalaureate and advanced programs
- Increased opportunities for financial aid and membership in honor organizations like Phi Theta Kappa
- Scholarships and/or transfer articulations with Miami University, University of Dayton, Wright State University.
Students can participate in Honors in two ways:
Individual Honors Courses
Students with a 2.8 GPA may enroll in individual Honors courses whether or not they plan to become Honors Scholars. To receive Honors credit, a student must earn a minimum of "B" in the course.
Any course on campus or online beyond the DEV level may be declared as an Honors course. Students can propose to take a course with honors through discussion with their instructor. Instructor approval is required along with approval of the department chair.
To find courses, you can now search the online bulletin by keyword. Enter "honors" in the search box under keyword for the current list of posted courses offered for Honors. Send corrections / additions / deletions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Honors Scholars Program
Students wishing to become an Honors Scholar must complete an application which includes two letters of recommendation from advisors or faculty. Acceptance interviews are scheduled every term when full applications are received.
Honors Scholars commit to completing four honors classes with two of the four courses in different disciplines. One course must be an Interdisciplinary course, such a Humanities class. If all four courses are in different disciplines consideration will be made to waive the interdisciplinary requirement.
Honors Scholars are also required to complete four Honors experiences. Honors experiences may consist of certain Sinclair Talks presentations, pre-approved honors excursions, approved talks presented by academic institutions, Sinclair plays, Sinclair choral presentations and other Sinclair theater experiences. Other experiences may be considered, Honors Scholars should send their Honors experience proposals to Dr. Derek Petrey.
Honors Scholars are required to fulfill a Service Learning requirement before completing the program. Students will perform unpaid community service as part of a selected Honors course or just on their own. Students seeking help in choosing a service project are encouraged to contact Sinclair's Service Learning office. View their website here.
Find the application and other Honors Program Forms here
In addition to other financial aid and scholarships, Honors Scholars may apply for up to six Academic Excellence Scholarships on a per-term basis during their time in the program.More details about Service Learning