The Records Center is intended for the storage of College records during the inactive period of their lifecycle – when they are no longer in use in the office, but have not yet reached the end of the mandated retention period. Any Sinclair-related, non-organic, non-hazardous materials may be stored in the Records Center. Materials that have no legal, fiscal, or administrative value will be accepted and retained on a space-available basis. If necessary, any materials not on a retention schedule or past their destruction date will have to be stored elsewhere by the department.
To store records in the Records Center it is important to follow these instructions:
- Access the Certificate of Transfer (or R3) Form on the Intranet under “Sinclair Forms/Records Management/R3.”
- Print the document, which includes:
- The Certificate form
- Instructions for transferring materials to the Archives or Records Center
- A set of labels to use on your boxes.
- Fill out the Records Transfer form (R3). [Detailed instructions are available in Records Management Forms and Their Use.]
- Make a list of the contents of the box (as detailed as you need it to be to make it easy to find things later), attach one copy to the Records Transfer form (R3), and keep one for your files.
- Send the R3 form to the Records Manager for approval.
- Once the signed R3 form has been returned to you, prepare your materials for storage in the Records Center as follows:
- Remove all staples, metal paperclips, and rubber bands; you may replace them with plastic paperclips if necessary.
- Unfold any papers that are folded.
- Remove any duplicate copies. Space is valuable in the Records Center, so duplicate copies are only kept when the items are of great value or get heavy use.
- Use standard records center boxes ONLY, available at the Tartan Campus Store.
- Purchase label holders from the Bookstore and affix them to the 12” side of the boxes.
- Place the file folders inside the box in order and with tabs all facing the same direction to make it easy to find things again later.
- Please do not include hanging file folders, or three-ring binders. Binders and hanging files damage the records and the storage boxes. Remove the contents and place them in clearly marked file folders.
- Please do not overpack the box. The lid should go down firmly.
- Please do not lay additional files on top of the packed files.
- Place one copy of the list of contents inside the box.
- Clearly label the box with all its contents. Make sure other people can understand what is in the box and what department it belongs to.
- Use the labels that print out as part of the R3 document. They will fit inside the label holders.
- Tell the Records Manager how many boxes you plan to transfer.
- The Records Manager will make arrangements to move the boxes.
To use or borrow materials stored in the Records Center, contact the Records Manager by email (email@example.com) or call 937-512-2319 and fill out a Request for On-Campus Reference or Loan of Records (R-4 Form). This form ensures that persons requesting access to records in the Archives/Records Center are authorized to use these records. The form also documents the reference activities pertaining to the records and allows the Records Manager to track items borrowed from storage.