Clinical FAQs

*Please Note* These FAQ's are general guidelines. Specific requirements are listed in the EMS department student handbooks.

Who can do clinicals?
Paramedic: ED- Those students who have... 1. Successfully completed the Patient Assessment Lab (passed the lab) 2. Students who have turned in all paperwork 3. Students who are NOT on provisional status Ambulance- Those students who have... 1. Done the above things 2. Successfully completed the Pharmacology Lab 3. Has accomplished... a. 3 Patient Assessments in the ED b. 3 successful IV's in the ED

Where can I do clinicals?
ALL STUDENTS: Hospitals: Only the hospitals that we have current contracts. Inside the hospitals, you may only use departments the hospital has given us clearance to use. Ambulance Sites: Only those sites we have current contracts and only during the times those sites allow to be scheduled.

What should I wear during clinicals?
The student must wear a white shirt, dark pants or skirt, and paramedic student name badge (supplied by the EMS Department) while on clinical rotations. Paramedic students: Required to wear the EMS Paramedic Student shirts available in the Tartan Campus Store

What should I take to clinicals?
Hospitals: Name Badge Clinical Book Clinical Documentation Packet DO NOT TAKE YOUR BOOKS - this is a the place for you to study! Ambulance Sites: Name Badge Clinical Book Clinical Documentation Packet You may take books to study during slow times

When can I do clinicals?
You may do clinicals whenever the clinical site says you may. You MAY NOT do more than 12 hours of clinical at a time. 23:00-07:00 shifts are discouraged due to low call volumes. PLEASE NOTE: You must be in COMPLETE student mode. Review the following questions... I am working in an ED and an interesting case comes in, can I switch into student mode? - NO I am working for a Fire Department/EMS agency and an interesting case comes in, can I switch to student mode? - That depends... You MUST be an extra person on the ambulance for it to count as time - If your department runs 3 person crews (and the ambulance will not repond to a call without 3) then you must be the fourth If you are on an engine, respond to a scene and then jump onto the Medic, no problem as long as you are extra staff - You will need to remain on the MICU until the end of the call - You will not be able to jump from the engine - start an IV and then jump back.

What can I do while on clinicals?
You may work at the level your preceptor allows. -Preceptors should gradually allow you to do more and more -You need to inform the preceptor as to what you are comfortable with and with what you are uncomfortable -Your clinical book has a section on the back that tells the preceptor what lab skills you have completed PLEASE NOTE: You are an EMT or Paramedic student ONLY when doing clinicals - not 24/7.

How do I sign in?
Report to the unit/station assigned for that day - refer to your clinical information for specifics about where sign-in books are located. You MUST sign in - we will check

What happens if I get hurt or come in contact with blood or body fluids during clinicals?
Hurt: -Stop doing clinical as soon as it is safe to do so -Let your preceptor know that an injury has occurred -Have your preceptor complete the "Emergency Room Insurance Form". Decide whether or not you wish to be evaluated by a physician -Contact the EMS chairperson at (937) 512-5162 to report this incident within 2 hours of the event -Report to the EMS chairperson to complete additional paperwork PLEASE NOTE: Sinclair provides accident insurance for MOST injuries that occur during clinicals. However, any treatment denied for reimbursement is the financial responsibility of the student. Blood or Body Fluids: -Blood and Body Fluid Exposure 1. Stop doing clinicals as soon as it is safe to do so. 2. Let the preceptor know that an exposure to blood and or body fluids has occurred. 3. Have the preceptor complete the “Emergency Room Insurance Form”. 4. Students are encouraged to report to Medworks Occupational Health Care during normal business hours (09:00-17:00 M-F): a. Medworks Occupational Health Care, 1435 Cincinnati St., Dayton Ohio 45408 b. Phone: 937-449-0800 5. If travel to Medworks is inconvenient or Medworks is closed, students should report to any emergency department for evaluation. 6. Have the preceptor work to try to obtain information about the source patient. Have any and all information about the source patient transmitted to Medworks. 7. Follow the medical personnel’s directions. a. If the student has not been to Medworks, contact Medworks ASAP to schedule an appointment. 8. Report to the EMS chairperson to complete additional paperwork. 9. Contact the EMS chairperson at 937-512-5162 to report this incident within 2 hours of the event. Leave a message. PLEASE NOTE: Sinclair will pay for your initial visit related to a blood or body fluid exposure. Any additional costs may need to be borne by the student. Failure to have your initial visit at any other location may result in the student needing to bear the entire cost for their care.