The following are questions frequently asked by Academic Foundations Math students. After scrolling through the following questions, if you have additional questions, please contact one of the Math Area Coordinators, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
When am I ready for a unit or chapter test? When a student has completed all of the work in a particular unit or chapter of his/her textbook, it is highly recommended to take either the practice test located in the textbook or one from the shelf in the classroom. Answers to practices tests in the textbooks are located in the answer key of the textbook. Answers to practice tests from the shelf are located on the back of the practice tests in each classroom and the Materials Room. Each instructor may also have his/her own special requirements for taking tests. These requirements, along with scheduled test dates, should be listed in your syllabus, or you can check with your instructor.
Why can't I just skip this chapter and take the final exam? The final exam only represents about 20% of your final grade. The other 80% of your grade reflects how well you do on homework, quizzes, tests, and any other assignments your instructor requires,which should be listed in your syllabus. To receive credit for the course, each student is required to attend class regularly and complete all assignments.
Why do I have to attend class? Why can't I just come to class when I'm ready for a test? The Students are expected to attend all class sessions. Excessive absences and work not completed may affect a student's ability to complete the course. Attendance may also effect a student's financial aid and/or VA benefits. Attendance in classes is kept according to federal guidelines.
It's been awhile since I've taken an Academic Foundations class. Can I use the same textbook? If you have the same edition or a past edition that hasn’t changed very much, there shouldn’t be a problem with using that book. You should speak with your instructor to see if the edition you have is acceptable.
My instructor is using a different book than the teacher I had last quarter. Can I still use my old book? This question is best answered by your instructor. Even though each book covers the same material, it may be organized or presented very differently. Sometimes it is more beneficial to use the book that the instructor you have now is using.
I took an Academic Foundations Math course years ago. Why do I have to take it again? Being Math is cumulative. You need a good foundation before moving on to the next level. If you haven't taken any math for some time, your skills may not be as good as you might think, and retaking your last class, may be the best way to review and rebuild that foundation. If you have not taken the placement test, we recommend you review your math skills before taking the test. If you have retaken the placement test and were placed in an Academic Foundations math course you passed some time ago, it probably means that you were a little rusty when you took the placement test. Many students don’t realize the importance of brushing up on their math skills before taking a placement test. You do have the option to retake any portion of the placement test. If you retake it within a year after taking it the first time, there is a small charge ($5). If you feel you should be placed higher, it may be worth your time to study the material thoroughly and retake the test. You can utilize the The Tutoring and Learning Center (located in the rear of the library near the Bell Tower) to review materials, work some practice sheets and/or practice tests to test your math skills. You can also request assistance from the staff of the learning center.