With the lowest tuition in the state of Ohio, the Sinclair Community College Music Department offers a quality and varied university parallel choir experience for music majors, non-music majors, community singers, and our greater Dayton area audience. Singers have the opportunity to experience varied choral ensemble experiences, styles, languages, and a wide choral repertoire to enhance students’ lives and future professional music careers. Many students elect to simultaneously perform in more than one choir. Musical backgrounds and experiences of choral members vary.
Any person who wants to sing in the Sinclair choirs needs to pass an annual audition with the corresponding director and then receive electronic permission from the Music Department (Room 2220) to register for the class. Returning students participate in the annual Fall Choral Auditions. Fall Choral Auditions are held annually. New members are accepted each semester by audition.
To secure an appointment for an audition in preparation for Fall Semester, please contact the Music Department Office in room 2220 (937-512-4580) between the hours of 8:30-2:00 Monday-Friday. At other hours and times of the year, to secure an audition date and time please directly contact:
Mr. Nolan W. Long (937-512-4057, email@example.com) or
Mr. Daniel Greene (937-512-2341, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Choral auditions consist of: "My Country ‘Tis of Thee", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:01_America.png, (with Mr. Long) or “Amazing Grace” (with Mr. Greene), vocal exercises, sight singing, pitch matching, and an interview. Please print-out the Choral Audition Form (located on this website under Forms), complete the top half of it, and bring it to your audition.
The Sinclair Music Department offers five choirs and the Vocal Performance Class:
• Chorale: MUS 1131. 1 credit. SATB. Tuesdays 7:00-9:30 p.m. in room 2334. A larger choral ensemble that performs significant choral repertoire, folk music and spirituals from many time periods and in a variety of languages. Open to all Sinclair students and community singers. Required for four semesters for voice majors, keyboard majors, and some guitar majors. Directed by Professor Nolan Long. Audition required.
• Chamber Choir: MUS 1133. 1 credit. SATB. Tuesdays/Thursdays 2:00-3:15 p.m. in room 2L15. A selective small choral ensemble that performs classical choral music, folk music, and spirituals for the smaller chamber choir from a variety of time periods in various languages. Open to all. Directed by Professor Nolan Long. Audition required.
• Contemporary Gospel Ensemble: MUS 1139. 1 credit. Mixed voices. Mondays 7:00-9:30 p.m. in room 2022. An auditioned choral ensemble that performs African-American contemporary church music in concert. Directed by Professor Daniel Greene. Audition required.
• Men’s Ensemble: MUS 1137. 1 credit. TTBB. Tuesdays/Thursdays 12:30-1:45 p.m. in room 2022. A men’s choral ensemble that performs a variety of choral musical styles. Directed by Professor Daniel Greene. Audition required.
• Women’s Ensemble: MUS 1135. 1 credit. SSAA. Tuesdays/Thursdays 12:30-1:45 p.m. in room 2L15. A women’s choral ensemble that performs a variety of choral musical styles. Directed by Professor Nolan Long. Audition required.
• Vocal Performance Class: MUS 2251. 1 credit. Mondays 3:30-5:00 in room 2022. More advanced vocalists perform scenes from operas and musical theater. Directed by Professor Daniel Greene and Adjunct Instructor Dawn Stone. Audition required.