The Dean's Council recommended the addition of African-American Studies at Sinclair. Currently, this is a collection of pre-existing courses "packaged" as a degree emphasis under African-American Studies (AFR).
The advantages to Sinclair are, among others, the following:
- Students interested in courses on this theme would find them in a convenient manner.
- Sinclair could market these courses more effectively.
- A structure would be in place to add additional courses in this area of study should this become necessary to meet student needs.
Courses included under African-American Studies are as follows:
- AFR 111 - African-American Studies I
- AFR 112 - African-American Studies II
- AFR 297 - Special Topics
- ART 125 - African Art
- DAN 107 - Jazz Movement
- HIS 105 - History of the Black American
- HIS 106 - Civil Rights ERA/U.S.
- HIS 215 - Survey of African History
- LIT 234 - Literature of Africa, Asia, and Latin America
- LIT 236 - African American Literature
- PSY 160 - African American Psychology
- SOC 215 - Cultural Diversity: Race, Class, Gender
- SOC 235 - African-American Family