Medical Coding & Billing Specialist (MCBS.S.STC)
23.0 Credit Hours
The Medical Coding and Billing Specialist certificate prepares students for entry-level coding and billing positions in physician medical offices, medical insurance companies and outpatient billing services.
Students will develop skills to accurately determine diagnostic and procedural code number assignments that impact medical reimbursement. Skill sets include application of ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS coding systems; medical terminology; anatomy and physiology and disease processes; processing insurance claims and reimbursement practices.
The Medical Billing and Coding Specialist certificate can be completed in the traditional classroom setting or completely online or a combination of both delivery systems.
Students must receive a grade of C or higher in all courses in the MCBS.STC and have a GPA of 2.0 to receive the certificate.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, critical thinking, problem solving and information literacy
- Identify the importance of documentation on code number assignment and the subsequent reimbursement impact
- Interpret coding guidelines and federal regulations for accurate code number assignment and completion of billing forms
- Demonstrate personal behaviors, attitudes and values consistent with a health care professional
- Accurately apply diagnosis and procedure code numbers utilizing ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS classification systems