Automotive High Performance (AHPC.S.STC)
25.0 Credit Hours
This short-term certificate provides in-depth, hands-on experiences in various areas of high-performance engines, an ideal choice to supplement a degree-seeking student wishing to specialize in the engine and fuel induction areas. The program is also designed to prepare students for the ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) engine machinist series. Courses are dedicated to specific areas of engine development: engine blocks, cylinder head and valve train, assembly and dynamometer testing. Fuel systems for performance engines are covered as well.
Prerequisites: AUT 1108 or AUT 1115
- Perform modifications to carburetor, electronic fuel systems and to an engine using supercharging and turbocharging components.
- Demonstrate engine dynamometer testing and interpretation of results.
- Analyze high performance intake and exhaust flow results through flow bench operation and testing.
- Demonstrate machining techniques for valve, seat guide and head decking.
- Perform engine assembly and performance testing.
- Demonstrate skills in engine block machining, blueprinting, crankshaft balancing, connecting rod preparation and precision measurements.
- Demonstrate porting and polishing techniques using the Mondello process.