Visual Communications (VIS.S.AAS)
68.0-69.0 Credit Hours
The program prepares students for careers in visual communication which is creative, fast paced and in demand by most businesses. Students will develop the knowledge and technical skills necessary to create both printed and digital design work. This includes the design of stationery, brochures, magazines, advertising, packaging, signage, web pages, interactive media and other pieces. Creativity, problem solving and the design process are stressed. Advanced computer skills, portfolio development and job-seeking strategies are also incorporated into the curriculum.
- Recognize, understand and use the language and jargon of design.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the business fundamentals of visual communications.
- Discuss the history, fundamentals and basic theories of design.
- Develop print, animation and new media concepts using traditional and computer-based design tools.
- Develop professional quality presentations and demonstrate adequate written and oral communication skills.
- Communicate design concepts at various stages of development using the design process, drawing skills and/or appropriate software.
- Apply critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills to a variety of design problems.