Dayton, Ohio (09/11/08) – The Sinclair Community College Police Department is hosting its 21st Annual Safety Awareness Expo and SCC Club Day on Thursday, September 25. The Expo is co-sponsored by the Miami Valley Crime Prevention Association.
The day’s activities will be held on the Sinclair plaza outside Building 10 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and include:
· Over 50 area police departments, law enforcement agencies, safety-related organizations and Sinclair clubs and organizations will be featuring interactive displays.
· The Knight Blaze band will perform from 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. and from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. The band’s members are Montgomery County police officers and firefighters.
· The Sinclair Police Academy will feature a variety of rappelling exercises from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
· A ceremony will featuring the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Honor Guard presenting the colors and the ninth annual Partner in Safety awards will be presented to five Sinclair organizations at Noon. College administrators and McGruff, the crime dog will also participate and WDTN-TV News Anchor Mark Allan will serve as emcee.
· The plaza will be surrounded with a variety of police vehicles and specialty cars from participating departments, including the Montgomery County SWAT tactical command center unit, the Montgomery County Regional Crime Lab van and the Dayton Police Motorcycle unit.
· A variety of live demonstrations will feature child seat safety demonstrations by AAA Miami Valley and police dog tactics.
· Confidential Material Destruction will be on hand to provide free shredding of personal documents in an effort to help combat identity theft.
Participating police departments include:
Montgomery County Hostage Negotiation Team
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office
Dayton Police Motorcycle Patrol
Montgomery County SWAT Team
Ohio Highway Patrol – Dayton Post
Five Rivers Metroparks Rangers
Ohio Investigative Unit
Sinclair Community College
U.S. Marshals Service
Wright State University
Other participating organizations include:
AAA Miami Valley
Life Connection of Ohio
Miami Valley Crime Prevention Association
American Red Cross
Miami Valley Crime Stoppers
Better Business Bureau
Miami Valley Regional Crime Lab
Children’s Medical Center
Mont. County Prosecutor's Office/Victim Witness Division
City of Dayton Human Resources
Ohio Fire Marshall
Community Tissue Services
Ohio Fire Marshall – Arson Bureau
Confidential Material Destruction
Ohio Office of Homeland Security
Dayton/Montgomery County Public Health Department
P & R Communications
Epilepsy Foundation of Western Ohio
S.A.F.E. – Montgomery County Safe Communities
Injury Prevention Center
For additional information, contact Lt. Scott Fowler, Crime Prevention Specialist, at (937) 512-2173 or check the Safety Awareness Expo web site at http://www.sinclair.edu/about/offices/police/scasae/
Natasha Baker, APR
Director of Public Relations