Guidelines for the Electronic PLUS Loan Application
Before you begin to complete your electronic Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application, determine the appropriate academic year you should select for your loan:
For loans for fall semester 2015, spring 2016 and summer 2016, you would apply for a loan for the 2015-16 academic year; that application will be available on wwww.studentloans.gov beginning April 1, 2015.
- When applying for the PLUS loan, the parent must sign in with the parent's FSA ID not the student's FSA ID.
- After the PLUS application is done, the parent must complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN). Unless, the parent already met the requirements for an MPN for the previous academic year and the MPN did not have a co-signer (endorser) and/or the loan is signed by the same parent designated for the same student.
- Please note that the parent's PLUS MPN is a different promissory note than the student's MPN for a Stafford loan.
- When using a co-signer, the co-signer must login with the co-signer's own FSA ID and then enter the loan ID number that was given to the parent in order to endorse the loan.
- When the borrower has adverse credit history, special loan counseling (online) is required.
- Once a FAFSA is submitted, a PLUS loan application may be made at any time during the academic year. The online application and MPN processes may take approximately 1-2 weeks. A PLUS application must be completed each academic year you are requesting a loan.
For additional information, see the Frequently Asked Questions for PLUS Loan or call the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979 or visit www.studentloans.gov.
Student Loan Code of Conduct
The guiding principles for ensuring the integrity of the student aid process and the ethical conduct of employees in regard to student loan practices are provided in Sinclair's Student Loan Code of Conduct.