Discussion forum is a communication tool that can be used to enhance a course/organization. While some similarities to chat exist, the discussion forum is designed for asynchronous use. Users are not present at the same time to converse on-line. As an example, email is also asynchronous.
An additional advantage of the discussion board is that conversations are logged and organized. Conversations are grouped into threads that contain a main posting and all related topics.
USER INSTRUCTIONS ON USING THE DISCUSSION FORUM (Students cannot create forums but can add threads and respond to
- Log on to your course or organization
- Click "Discussion Board" on the left navigation bar (the discussion board tool is also available under the "Communication" navigation button).
To Add a new topic or category:
- Click "Add Forum" and fill out the form.
- Click "Submit"
To add a new thread (a new discussion):
- Click the forum where the new discussion will reside and then click "Add New Thread"
- Fill out the form and then click "OK"
To respond to an existing message (thread):
- Click the message you wish to respond to
- Click the "Reply" button on the lower right-hand side of screen
- Fill out the form and click "Submit"