NU PI CHAPTER FACT SHEET
National Honors Status
Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society for two-year colleges provides recognition for academic achievement. Sinclair’s chapter, Nu Pi, formed in June 1964, is one of over 1,200 chapters worldwide and one of the oldest in the Ohio Region.
To be eligible to join, SCC students must have:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- A minimum of 12 credit hours completed
- Induction fees of $85 in check/money order payable to Nu Pi or Phi Theta Kappa
Continuing Membership Requirements
- Maintain cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 1 credit hour for two out of three consecutive semesters
- Attend at least one general business meeting per semester
Benefits of Membership
- Have the Phi Theta Kappa seal affixed to your associate's degree diploma
- Wear the gold Phi Theta Kappa stole, tassel and honor cord at graduation
- Numerous opportunities for scholarships
- Advisor of Phi Theta Kappa will help conduct scholarship searches and write a letter of recommendation for all active members
In addition to the benefits of membership, Phi Theta Kappa offers many opportunities for personal growth and development of leadership skills.
Scholarship – Nu Pi offers six scholarships ranging from $200 to $500 each semester and one $1,000 transfer scholarship annually. Scholarship awards are based on cumulative GPA and service to the chapter (minimum of 150 service points). Many four-year institutions across the nation offer transfer scholarships to active Phi Theta Kappans.
Fellowship – Nu Pi members host and attend many activities, including local, regional, and international events, which promote fellowship among chapter members, chapter alumni, and fellow Kappans throughout Ohio and the United States.
Leadership – Nu Pi has a major leadership role among student organizations at Sinclair. Membership offers the opportunity to develop and use leadership skills through the variety of officer and chair positions available each year.
Service – All members are encouraged to actively participate in Nu Pi’s activities. Service points are awarded for each activity and are considered for scholarship and travel opportunities.