Criminal Justice/OPOTA CJS.S.ATS
Associate of Technical Studies - 64 Credit Hours
Division: Business and Public Services
Department: Criminal Justice Science
Effective as of Fall 2017
What is the program about?
The Associate of Technical Study Degree in Criminal Justice/OPOTA prepares entry-level professionals from diverse backgrounds in theoretical foundations, knowledge, skills, and practices of law enforcement operations. This study enables students to develop rational decisions and informed responses to challenges facing law enforcement and CJ professionals today and prepares them to take the OPOTA certification assessment which allows them to seek employment as a Peace Officer in the State of Ohio.
- Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills; communicates effectively with all constituents of the CJ System who are involved in the CJ process, and incorporates the standard communication model (sending, receiving, analyzing, and responding).
- Exemplify high standards of CJ Science professionalism, employment qualifications, stewardship of resources, and time management.
- Demonstrates a proficient use of technology and information literacy fundamentals and applies Demonstrates a sense of values, citizenship, and community toward oneself and others, and works effectively, independently, and collaboratively with diverse populations in adverse conditions.
- Utilizes creative and critical thinking skills by addressing CJ Science issues / problems by using acceptable problem-solving strategies and techniques, research, analyzing, synthesizing, evaluation /assessment, and adaptation.
- Demonstrates a proficient use of technology and information literacy fundamentals and applies comprehensive knowledge specific to the CJ procession and the processes involved in responding appropriately to assorted scenarios, writings, projects, and assessments.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform basic and advanced law enforcement tasks to standard during the course of study and during a 200-question written exam administered by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.
- Demonstrates the ability to transfer pedagogical classroom experience into the world of work and the continuation of life-long learning practices.
Deputy Sheriff, Police Officer, Park Ranger, College or University Sworn Officer.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances. View current catalog