Application Process - There are three critical first steps to qualify for financial aid of any kind:
1. First complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA) each year. The need for any financial aid will be determined by the information provided in the FAFSA application.
Available beginning in January for the following academic year (fall through summer)
- Apply online at www.fafsa.gov. Students will need a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to complete the application online. To request a PIN, go to www.pin.ed.gov. Parents also can request a PIN for themselves at the same site.
- The FAFSA can also be completed by phone at 1-800-433-3243.
Be sure to use Sinclair's code 003119 on the application so the college can receive the results.
Be sure to sign the FAFSA application, certifying that all federal financial aid money will be used only for expenses related to study at Sinclair Community College.
Apply as early as possible; processing can take four to six weeks and perhaps longer if students are selected for verification of their information.
Students receive an e-mail asking them to provide verification documents. Sinclair will not be able to award any federal aid until all the requested documentation has been verified.
2. Verification Process - The federal government may ask Sinclair to verify the accuracy of the student's FAFSA application. If students are selected for verification, they will receive an e-mail from the college asking for documentation to support the information reported on the FAFSA application. Follow these steps:
Gather all paperwork or documentation that the verification e-mail requests. It may include:
Student IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript and/or W2
Parent IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript and/orW2
Verification of untaxed income such as child support or disability
Proof of the number of family members in the householdDocumentation of SNAP benefitsAdditional documentation as requested
Submit all requested information to the Financial Aid & Scholarships office, Building 10, Room 10324.
Sometimes students will be asked for additional documentation after submitting preliminary documents. Students should submit any additional documents as quickly as possible.
Note: Sinclair will not be able to award any federal financial aid as well as some state and institutional scholarship aid until all requested information has been submitted to the college and verified by the Financial Aid & Scholarships office.
3. Additional forms required for the verification process are available in the office, Building 10, Room 10324, or they can be accessed from the college web site http://www.sinclair.edu/services/finaid/2012-2013financialaidforms/index.cfm.
4. See Federal Loan and Private/Alternative Loan sections for details of loan process.
5. Some scholarships may require additional applications available online or in the financial aid office. See Scholarship section for more details.
Results of Financial Aid Application
Notification: If students are eligible for financial aid, they will receive an award notification e-mail from Sinclair's Financial Aid & Scholarships office. The e-mail will instruct them to review their awards on Web Advisor.
The following awards must be accepted on Web Advisor before funds will be available for tuition, fees and/or books:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Loans
- Federal Work Study
- Institutional Access Grant and Book Scholarship
Students offered federal loans will receive a Notice of Disclosure from the U.S. Department of Education Direct Loan Servicing Center. If a student accepts a loan, an additional e-mail will be sent about loan steps to complete in order to have access to their loan money.
Payment of Aid: Once a student has registered for the term, scholarships and/or state grants will be applied toward tuition. Federal aid will show as pending aid on the fee bill until 10 days before the start of the term. If you are registered for B term only, federal aid will not be applied to your student account until 10 days before the start of B term.