To be considered for financial aid during Summer Term 2014, you must first complete the 2013–2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you completed this application previously, please check Web Advisor at my.sinclair.edu to determine your financial aid status for Summer Term 2014.
If you have not completed the 2013–2014 FAFSA, please apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to complete the application online. To request a PIN, go to www.pin.ed.gov. Parents also can request a PIN for themselves at the same site.
A few important details to consider:
- Be sure to complete the 2013–2014 FAFSA (not the 2014–2015 FAFSA)
- The FAFSA can also be completed by phone at 1-800-433-3243.
- Be sure to use Sinclair's code—003119—on the application so the college can receive the results.
- Be sure to sign the FAFSA application, certifying that all federal financial aid money will be used only for expenses related to study at Sinclair Community College.
- Apply as early as possible. Processing can take several weeks for students selected for verification.
You may receive an email asking you to provide verification documents. Sinclair will not be able to award any federal aid until all the requested documentation has been verified.
Federal verification is a process whereby institutions are required to verify the accuracy of information provided on a student's FAFSA in an effort to assure federal aid is distributed to those who are eligible. Approximately 30% of FAFSA applications are selected by the federal processor for verification each year.
Schools may be required to verify all or any of the following criteria:
- Household size (number of people in your household)
- Number enrolled in college (number of household members attending a post-secondary educational institution at least half time)
- Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or income earned from work if income is below minimum required for income tax filing
- U.S. Income Tax paid for the base year
- Certain untaxed income and benefits for the base year, such as:
- Education credits
- Untaxed IRA distributions
- Untaxed pensions
- IRA deductions
- Interest on tax-free bonds
- Child support paid for the base year
- Receipt of food stamps/SNAP benefits for base and prior year
- High school completion status
- Additional documentation as requested
Sinclair College students selected for verification will be notified via their my.sinclair.edu email to determine which documents are needed. All requested documentation should be submitted in a timely manner: by mail to Sinclair Community College, Financial Aid and Scholarships office, 444 W. Third St., Room 10324, Dayton, OH 45402-1460, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to any regional location.
Additional forms required for the verification process are available in the Financial Aid office, Building 10, Room 10324, or they can be accessed from the college website on the Financial Aid forms page.
Some scholarships may require an additional application. Scholarship applications are available online or in the Financial Aid office. For more details, visit the scholarships page.
Results of Financial Aid Application
Notification: Within 4 to 6 weeks of receiving your FAFSA, the Financial Aid and Scholarships office will notify you of financial aid eligibility via your my.sinclair.edu email account. The email will instruct you to review your financial aid awards on Web Advisor.
The following award types must be accepted on Web Advisor before funds will be available for tuition, fees and/or books:
- Federal Pell grant
- Federal loans
- Federal work study
- Institutional Access Grant and Book Scholarship
If you are selected to receive federal loans, you will receive a Notice of Disclosure from the U.S. Department of Education Direct Loan Servicing Center. If you accept a loan, you will receive an additional email at your my.sinclair.edu account about loan steps to complete in order to receive loan money.
Payment of Aid
Once you have registered for the term, scholarships and/or state grants will be applied toward tuition. Federal aid will show as pending aid on the fee bill until 10 days before the start of the term. If you are registered for B term only, federal aid will not be applied to your student account until after the start of B term.
IMPORTANT: Your my.sinclair.edu email account is the primary way the Financial Aid and Scholarships office will communicate with you. Please check your email frequently (weekly at a minimum) to ensure that you receive important updates and communications as quickly as possible.