Sinclair will grant credit for courses transferred according to the following:
- The credits must have been earned at an institution that is accredited by a regional association such as the North Central Association.
- A grade of C of higher must have been received. Grades of pass or credit also will be accepted.
Credit will not be granted for courses that are defined as pre-college level by the institution where they were earned. Such courses will be noted for academic advising purposes and will show transferred hours as "0".
To receive credit, students must have an official transcript sent directly from the previous institution to the Office of Registration & Student Records. Once received, the information will be entered into the student records database and a Transfer Credit Evaluation Report will be sent to the students. Once the Evaluation Report is received, students must make appointments to meet with their academic advisors for formal transfer credit award. If this final step is not completed, no transfer credit can be awarded.
Military training and experience will be evaluated according to the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations. ACE evaluates and recommends college credit for the following types of courses and occupations.
- formal service school courses approved by a central authority
- correspondence courses with proctored end-of-the-course examinations
- Department of Defense (DOD) courses
- Army military occupation specialties
- Navy general rates and ratings
The following policies have been established for awarding credit based on military training.
- A student must have applied for admission and have been accepted at Sinclair
- Credit will be awarded only if Sinclair offers an equivalent course
- Credit will not be awarded if the student has received or transferred credit for a comparable college course
- Credits awarded will be treated as transfer credit at Sinclair
- Credits awarded will not transfer from Sinclair to another school. Each school must do its own evaluation.
- Credits awarded as a result of military training do not apply toward the college residency requirement
- Credits awarded as a result of military training are counted toward the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for students who receive federal financial aid.
If you were Active Duty Military:
Before an evaluation can be completed, you must submit the appropriate documentation as listed below by service branch to:
|Registration & Student Records|
|Sinclair Community College|
|444 West Third Street|
|Dayton, Ohio 45402-1460|
|USAF: As applicable, request an official transcript to be sent to the Office of Registration & Student Records from:|
|* The Community College of the Air Force|
|Office of the Registrar|
|Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6655|
|* The Air Force Institute of Technology|
|2950 P Street, Bldg. 641|
|WPAFB, OH 45433-7765|
|* USAF Extension Course Institute|
|50 S. Turner Blvd.|
|Maxwell AFB, AL 36118-5643|
|US Army: Request an official transcript to be sent to the Office of Registration & Student Records from AARTS. AARTS applications are available from the Registration Office.|
|US Coast Guard: Submit your DD-214 (Military Discharge Papers) and Achievement Tests or your CG-5316 Warrant Officer Evaluation Report to the Office of Registration & Student Records.|
|USMC or USN: Submit a copy of your DD-295 (Application for the Evaluation of Educational Experiences) or your DD-214 (Discharge Papers) and your course completion certificates to the Office of Registration & Student Records.|
|If you have misplaced your discharge papers, complete form 180 and mail to:|
|General Services Administration|
|National Personnel Records Center|
|Military Personnel Records|
|9700 Page Blvd.|
|St. Louis, MO 63132|