Master (Quarter) to Master (Semester) Course Procedures
Step I: Request Master Course: The Master Course shells are typically "shared" with the named course section shells, and therefore" relate to course numbers.
For example: a MRK 201 Master Course filter would be set to "share” with MRK 201 section shells only. Because we are moving from a three (3) digit identifer to a four (4) digit course number, the old Master Course shared filters will not work with new semester course shells.
To remedy this issue:
- Requesting a new ANGEL Classroom Master Course shell. To do this, fill out the online request form (one for each shell you are requesting) available at: http://data.sinclair.edu/lms/enhancement/index.cfm. Once the shell is created, you will recieve an email confirmation.
- For more information on obtaining a master shell, contact Kathy Kaiser email@example.com in Web Systems.
** NOTE: Prior approval is needed for Distance Learning Online Master shells. Please contact Vandana.Rola@sinclair.edu in Distance Learning for more information.
Step II: Copy Template: In conjunction with semester conversion, a new Master Template is being implemented in all semester quarter shells. New features include the syllabus under lessons (rather than on a tab), a “How to Get Started” nugget on the course front page, and new theme colors.Before importing the course content, the new template should be applied to the Semester Classroom Master shells.
To apply the new template:
- Log into the empty master course shell.
- Go to Manage > Import Console > Master Course Copy.
- Select “Template Enhancement Masters” from the dropdown box.
- Click “Copy”. Copy is queued. Once complete, proceed to next step.
Step III: Export and Import Content Package: To populate the Classroom Master with content while retaining the new template structure, the content package must be imported into the shell.
** NOTE: DO NOT USE the “Copy Course” function to populate your Classroom Master with content. Performing a Copy Course rather than importing the content will overwrite the course template. To populate the Classroom Master with course content:
Export the Content Package from the source course
- Log into the course where the content currently resides.
- Click “Manage > Export Console > Angel Format”
- Click “Next” without making changes on the Export Summary page.
- Export is queued. Once complete:
Download the Content Package to your hard drive:
- Log into the course where the export was completed.
- Click “Manage > Export Console”
- Click the Content Package file name (Under Export History).
- At File Download box, click “Save”
- Choose a location and click “Save”
Import Content Package into the Semester Classroom Master shell:
- Log into the Semester Classroom Master Shell.
- Click “Manage > Import Console > Content Package”
- Browse for the file downloaded and click “Upload File”
- Click “Next” without changes at the Import Details page.
- Import is queued. Once complete, move to next step.
Step IV: Perform Course Clean Up: Depending upon how the course was built (with or without a repository), repository/course links may need to be recreated within the Semester Classroom Master course. Additionally, the following steps will help you make sure your ANGEL Classroom Master is ready for the new semester.
- Make sure your syllabus is edited and up to date for the new semester.
- If you have any specific dates listed on any of your course material (including titles, subtitles, page text, etc.) be sure to change the dates for the new semester.
- Check the start and end dates for all of your announcements and make sure they are correct for the new semester. Click the edit button on the Course Announcements nugget. Edit each announcement to change the dates.
- Be sure to check all of the access dates for your content items – including all folders (if applicable) to make sure the dates are correct for the new semester. This is done in the Settings hyperlink under the Access tab of each content item. You will need to check the dates as well as the interaction dates for Assessments.5. If you are using Teams, make sure all of your Teams are set up correctly. Teams can be found under the Manage Tab.
- If you are teaching a 16, 12 or 8-week curriculum, rearrange the topic folders under the Lessons tab, according to your curriculum version.
- Once you have performed the course clean up, it is recommend that you Back-Up the course shell. Click on this link to view a video tutorial of the Back-Up Process.