3 weeks prior to the start of each quarter, all Perception administrators (faculty) will receive an email request from Web Systems asking them to identify all course sections (via the Perception map form) using Perception for the upcoming quarter.
NOTE: faculty will NOT be able to manually create participants or groups. Sections using Perception MUST be identified through the map form in order for groups and student accounts to be created. Exceptions (external users not registered for a Sinclair course) will be handled via email request by the Web Applications Administrator.
Once the Perception identification forms are received, Web Systems will manually populate a Colleague field so that the mass upload program will "know" which courses are using Perception.
Several days before the start of the quarter, the Perception mass upload program will run, capturing the following data for each Perception student:
- Seven digit student ID (Details Field)
- A randomly generated series of letters and numbers (Password)
- Student's my.sinclair ID (Perception ID)
- Student first and last name
- Course sections (Groups) that are using Perception that student is enrolled in
- Student email address
STUDENT ACCOUNT SCHEME
Until Winter quarter 2006, Perception participant accounts adhere to the same ID and password scheme used for the my.Sinclair accounts. That is:
- ID: portal ID (generally the students' firstname.lastname)
- Password: the lower case word "pass" and the last 4 digits of the student's social security number (pass1234)
Students will only be required to log in again when using the direct URL at http://perception.sinclair.edu. Students opting to use my.Sinclair and Single Sign-On to log into Perception, will not be required to log in again.
GROUP ATTACHMENT & NAMING SCHEME:
Perception groups adhere to the following naming convention and will automatically be created during the participant upload process:
- Course Name and Number
- Course Section Number
- Quarter designation (SP, SU, FA, WI)
- Last name of Instructor
END OF QUARTER PERCEPTION DATABASE CLEANUP
The administrator will manually delete all participants and groups as close to the new quarter as possible (but not before the official date for grade submission has passed (generally the first Tuesday after the end of quarter by 12:00 noon). It is vital that faculty complete necessary archiving of quarterly assessment data by this deadline which will be communicated via email each quarter.
NOTE: Deleting a participant removes ALL data (grades, test results, etc.) associated with that participant. Faculty must save any tests or other data they wish to retain before the deletion deadline.
EXCEPTIONS: CWW & Incomplete Students
Faculty must submit participant and group exception lists to the administrator no later than the last day of the quarter. These groups/students will be retained. We expect the exception list to be extremely small since it should include incompletes, CWW, and course evaluation groups only.
- Timely identification of Perception sections via the on-line form
- Management of CWW and Incomplete students by submitting exception list to administrator
- Management of participant drops from groups (i.e. if a student drops the course)
- Assessment data archiving
- Scheduling of students
- Creation of students accounts
- Creation of groups
- Attachment of students to relevant groups
- End of quarter database purge of students and groups