DEH 1204 Preclinical Dental Hygiene I
Scientific principles of dental hygiene practice with emphasis on preventive dental health concepts, promotion of dental health, exposure control, data collection, patient assessment, oral health education and basic dental hygiene instrumentation. Two classroom, six lab hours per week.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Dental Health Sciences
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
Prereqs: ALH 1101 AND BIO 1141 AND DEH 1102
- Describe the purpose and appropriate use of the various dental hygiene instruments used in providing non-surgical dental hygiene therapy.
- Describe the various bloodborne and airborne pathogens and strategies to reduce occupational exposure in the dental office setting as required by the OSHA standard.
- Describe the etiology of periodontal disease, including the role of dental plaque and the relationship of dental calculus to periodontal disease.
- Describe basic preventive techniques incorporated in all patient care plans to establish a good oral health routine.
- Describe the various indicies used in collecting data and the techniques for assessing patient periodontal health.
- Describe the basic principles of oral health education in the development of individualized patient care plans.
Credit Hours: 4
Classroom Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 6