DIT 1108 Nutrition for the Culinary Professional
Introduction to general nutrition principles emphasizing foundations of healthy cooking. Explores how to gauge customers' needs/wants while developing and implementing healthy menu options. Includes National Restaurant Association Education Foundation ManageFirst Nutrition Exam. Successful completion of exam fulfills requirements toward American Culinary Federation (ACF) certification.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Nutrition and Dietetics
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
- Modify recipes to improve nutrient density while maintaining aesthetic appeal.
- Construct a marketing plan for increasing sales of healthy menu options.
- Identify and discuss factors affecting food choices and how the food supply influences those choices.
- Evaluate nutritious food choices using the Food Guide Pyramid and food labels.
- Identify essential nutrients, their functions and food sources to assess nutrient content of personal diet.
Credit Hours: 3
Classroom Hours: 3