HMT 1101 Basic Culinary Skills
This course is an introduction to food preparation techniques and culinary theory. Basic concepts of kitchen organization and operation, basic terminology, use of standardized recipes, weights and measures, product evaluation, recipe conversion, food composition and introduction to commercial equipment and work methods. American Culinary Federation competency skills included. HMT 1107 must be completed prior to registering for this course or may be taken at the same time. Four lab hours per week.
Division: Business and Public Services
Department: Hospitality Management
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
Prereqs: DEV 0035
- Compute basic conversion of measurements within 45 minutes.
- Demonstrate one of the five lead sauces within 45 minutes.
- Perform the main knife cuts within 40 minutes.
- Prepare soup and salad combination within 45 minutes.
- Demonstrate basic sanitation and safety practices within 30 minutes.
Credit Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 4