HMT 2200 Baking & Culinary Fundamentals & Commercial Equipment
This course is designed for students that are transferring from another institution, entering the program with advanced credits such as Tech Prep, and/or for students that need to refresh their skills. All students will be assessed to ensure that appropriate advanced skills match those required of upper level courses in the program. This course will also orient students to kitchen laboratory processes/procedures and commercial equipment for a smooth transition. Four lab hours per week.
Division: Business and Public Services
Department: Hospitality Management
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
- Compute basic conversion of measurements within 45 minutes.
- Perform the main knife cuts within 40 minutes.
- Demonstrate basic baking skills to include terminology, weights and measures, formula calculations, yeast-raised products, quick breads, pastry dough and cookies.
- Demonstrate method when making pies and cookies.
- Correctly disassemble, clean, reassemble, and operate selected mechanical and not mechanical cooking and baking equipment.
- Differentiate processes of commercial kitchen equipment maintenance, cleaning and sanitation.
- Demonstrate one of the five lead sauces within 45 minutes.
Credit Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 4