MAS 1101 Introduction to Medical Assisting
Overview of the role of a medical assistant within the health care industry and different work environments, as well as the fundamentals of medical ethics and law in the medical office setting.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Medical Assistant Technology
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
Prereqs: ALH 1101
- Describe the role of the medical assistant in relationship to other members of the healthcare team, including primary areas of responsibility, as well as career opportunities and potential in terms of service and contribution to healthcare delivery.
- Describe major components of various legal systems and trial process.
- Apply policies for the control, use and release of health information, including identifying public duties relating to reportable information.
- Distinguish between law and standards, as well as ethics and etiquette.
- Discuss the functions of professional healthcare organizations, including the importance of the medical assisting profession to the healthcare environment.
- Discuss the role of cultural, social and ethnic diversity in ethical performance of the medical assisting practice.
- Discuss examples of the importance of law to the physician, including legal obligations of the employer-employee relationship and the role of boundaries within the healthcare environment.
Credit Hours: 3
Classroom Hours: 3