MAS 2210 Medical Billing Specialist
This course is designed to introduce the student to the practice of medical billing within the medical office, including the use of computerized medical billing software. It is also designed to introduce the student to the principles of bookkeeping, automated and manual patient financial accounting, collection techniques, employee payroll and banking procedures. Two classroom, three lab hours per week.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Medical Assistant Technology
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
Prereqs: HIM 1160 OR HIM 1201
- Understand the fundamentals of bookkeeping and the financial record-keeping including banking procedures to perform acceptable accounting practices.
- Describe the function of patient billing and the methods used to collect outstanding balances due on patient accounts.
- Demonstrate the steps from the patient encounter to the completion of insurance claim forms, and abstracting information from the medical record to obtain preauthorizations.
- Describe the fee schedules created by physicians for charges as well as the methods used by payers to reimburse physicians, and effectively communicate insurance benefits to patients.
- Describe and compare different types of payers for medical insurance and compliant billing strategies.
Credit Hours: 3
Classroom Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 3