SOC 1117 Popular Culture
Exploration of contemporary popular culture and popular culture in a historical context: examination of influence of popular culture on the development of a unique American society and culture through media, music, sports, entertainment and/or food.
Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
- Analyze social and cultural phenomena.
- Examine how American popular culture developed in historical context and how it exists today using the sociological perspective.
- Analyze the influence of capitalism on popular culture and how resulting socioeconomic inequalities shape culture.
- Assess how culture is disseminated in our increasingly interconnected global society
- Evaluate the role of collective behavior in shaping American culture.
- Appraise the contributions of women, ethnoracial and religious groups, and other minority populations in society.
Credit Hours: 3
Classroom Hours: 3