Short-term Technical Certificate - 23 Credit Hours
Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
Effective as of Fall 2023
What is the program about?
The Captioning Certificate is designed to prepare students for a position as a captionist in the workforce. The skills obtained will train students to provide accessible communication services to individuals with hearing loss or communication barriers. A field experience is required.
- Understand Deaf Culture and the varying views of Deafness.
- Exhibit ethical conduct and characteristics of a captionist.
- Demonstrate entry-level captioning skills in order to obtain desired employment.
- Critically assess own captioning work, identify own strengths and weaknesses, articulate observations in written format, and produce revised versions of their work.
Positions available to graduates include independent contractor and/or staff positions.
Students will receive a certificate of completion from the Rochester Institute of Technology Captioning training office.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.