Home Health Medical Coding HHMC.S.STC
Short-term Technical Certificate - 21 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Health Information Management
Effective as of Fall 2021
What is the program about?
The Home Health Medical Coding certificate prepares students for entry-level coding positions in home health agencies. Students will develop skills to accurately determine diagnostic code number assignments that impact medical reimbursement. Skill sets include application of ICD-10-CM coding systems; medical terminology; anatomy and physiology and disease processes. The Home Health Medical Coding certificate can be completed with some courses completed in the traditional classroom setting or completely online. Students must receive a grade of C or higher in all courses in the HHMC.S.STC and have a GPA of 2.0 to receive the certificate.
- Accurately apply diagnosis code numbers utilizing the ICD-10-CM classification system.
- Demonstrate personal behaviors, attitudes, and values consistent with a health care professional
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, critical thinking, problem solving and information literacy
- Identify the importance of documentation on code number assignment and the subsequent reimbursement impact
- Interpret coding guidelines and federal regulations for accurate code number assignment
Employment prospects for home health medical coding professionals are excellent throughout the state and country. Career opportunities include employment with home health agencies or any medical institution that offers home health medical services.
Upon successful completion of the Home Health Medical Coding certificate, graduates may sit for the HCS-D credentials. The Home Care Coding Specialist-Diagnosis credential (HCS-D) is a national credential certified by the Board of Medical Specialty Coding and Compliance.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.