Sports Nutrition Specialist SNS.S.STC
Short-term Technical Certificate - 6 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Nutrition and Dietetics
Effective as of Fall 2023
What is the program about?
The sports nutrition specialist is equipped with the knowledge of evidence-based nutrition principles that include Dietary Guidelines for Americans, Dietary Reference Intakes, USDA Nutrition Guidelines, FDA Nutrition Guidelines, CDC Nutritional Guidelines, MyPlate, National Fruit & Vegetable Consumption Coalition, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics general nutrition guidelines and position papers. The sports nutrition specialist is trained to identify nutrition-related acute and chronic illness as well as disordered eating practices that can then be referred to a nutrition professional. Knowledge of macronutrients and their relationship with exercise and performance are provided. Ergogenic aids, supplements, and fad diets are reviewed for efficacy. The sports nutrition specialist certificate, in conjunction with an accredited personal training credential provides the nutrition knowledge for the trainer to provide general evidence-based nutrition principles to a healthy population as it applies to exercise and performance.
- Students will be able to describe sport-specific foods, supplements and ergogenic aids using evidence-based analyses.
- Students will be able to Evaluate the effects of dehydration, over-hydration, hypothermia, and hyperthermia on training and performance.
- Students will be able to Identify athletes with sub-clinical disordered eating, clinical eating disorders, and related high risk factors for referral to a nutrition professional.
- Students will be able to describe healthy nutritional foods to support vegetarians and those with various food allergies, sensitivities, and intolerances.
- Students will be able to identify energy consumption within a healthy nutrition plan, identifying any special issues related macronutrients.
- Student will be able to describe energy metabolism during exercise training, competition, and recovery.
- Students will be able to analyze and describe the efficacy and safety of popular diets for weight management, health, and performance.
The Sports Nutrition Specialist certificate will provide a sports nutrition skill set that can be utilized in the Personal Training and Health Coaching workforce.
The Sports Nutrition Specialist does not have any licensure or credentialing requirements.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.