Skip to Content

TAA Frequently Asked Questions

+ What’s the difference between TAA and TRA?

Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) provides re-employment services and benefits to trade-affected workers. Workers who lose their jobs as a result of increased foreign imports or a shift in production to foreign countries may be eligible for TAA.

Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA) provides extended income assistance for workers in an approved TAA contract. TRA payments begin when unemployment insurance ends allowing the student to complete their program of study.

+ How do I know if I am eligible for TAA?

To become TAA certified, a company official, a union representative, or a group of three or more workers must file a  petition with the Department of Labor. Workers are notified of their eligibility via mail.

+ Where should I go if I require assistance with TAA or WIA paperwork?

If you require assistance with TAA or WIA paperwork, the Admissions, Dayton Campus, Welcome Center Building 10, can assist you. Contact by telephone at 937-512-3675.

+ What happens after I turn in my TAA contract?

Once the school representative has completed a student’s contract, the student will receive a phone call stating the contract has been completed. Students are instructed to pick up their completed contracts and deliver them to their TAA customer service representative.

+ How long does it take for a contract to be approved after my TAA customer service representative receives the completed contract?

Contracts turned into a TAA customer service representative require thirty days to be approved and returned to Sinclair.

+ How will I know when my contract is approved?

Upon receiving an approved contract, a school representative will notify the concerned student via telephone.

+ What should I do if the payment deadline is approaching and Sinclair has not received my approved contract?

If thirty days have passed since the contract was delivered to TAA, contact your TAA customer service representative. If unable to contact your TAA customer service representative, contact the Trade Section in Columbus at 1-866-288-0989.

+ I received a phone call from Sinclair stating they have a copy of my approved contract. How do I go about purchasing my books?

Books can be purchased using your Tartan Card (student I.D.) during the financial aid book charge period, which is typically the week immediately prior to the first day of classes. The date is posted at the bottom of the bookstore website. Contact the Bursar Office and College Cashier at 937-512-2606 to confirm that your book funding has been made available for use in the bookstore.

+ What should I do if the funds on my Tartan Card do not cover the cost of my books?

Have additional funds transferred by contacting the Bursar Office and College Cashier at 937-512-2606. If the Office of the Bursar informs you your book funds have been exhausted, contact Robin Rucker in the Welcome Center Building 10 at 937-512-3675.

+ Can I accept scholarship or grant money?

Yes. TAA funded students can accept any scholarship or grant made available to them.

+ Is the FAFSA application the same thing as applying for student loans?

No. The FAFSA application is used to determine students’ level of financial obligation and the various federal grants and loans they may be eligible for. Once eligibility is determined, students can accept or reject any of the grants or loans made available. Eligibility for some grants and scholarships may require a student to complete the FAFSA application.