Tuition Refund Appeal Information
It is the responsibility of our students at Sinclair Community College to be aware of the refund policy as stated.
Withdrawal dates for standard term courses are located on the registration calendar.
In order to review or consider a Tuition Refund Appeal, the Committee requires the following items:
- Appealed course(s) must be dropped with a W grade (no other grade will be accepted). If it is past the withdrawal period, you will need to file an academic petition through the Provost Office for consideration of a grade change to a W.
- Complete all needed fields on the Tuition Refund Appeal Form.
- Provide a brief written explanation of the circumstances beyond your control (i.e. medical situation, family death, military deployment, etc.) causing your request of refund past the posted refund date.
- Attach documentation to substantiate your request:
- A physician’s statement on their letterhead for medical emergency/situation involving yourself or a medical emergency involving an immediate family member (mother, father, legal guardian, brother, sister, spouse, or child). Date(s) of situation must be provided in letter. If travel out of state was required in the case of a family member, travel itinerary must be provided. If you are required to provide care for an immediate family member, a formal letter from the physician or other official with explanation must be provided. Please do NOT submit medical records.
- Copy of obituary or other formal notice in the case of a death of an immediate family member (mother, father, legal guardian, brother, sister, spouse, or child); the notice must show your relationship with deceased. Travel itinerary must also be provided if travel out of state was required.
- Copy of your military orders for an unexpected military deployment that caused the withdrawal.
- Supporting documentation from an instructor, advisor, ombudsman, or other college official for an error on the college’s part. For system related issues, login or other support from the Help Desk is required.
* The Tuition Refund Appeal will NOT be reviewed or considered and no follow-up completed to the student if any of the above items are incomplete or required support documentation is not submitted with the appeal. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure all requirements are met in order for the tuition refund appeal to be reviewed.*
The Committee will NOT review or consider a Tuition Refund Appeal when:
- The request is beyond one year of the date of withdrawal from a particular course / term
- Course(s) were not dropped with a grade of a W
- Course(s) were dropped for work related reasons (i.e. job change, promotions, added hours, shift changes, etc.)
- Failing a course or semester workload
- Course(s) were dropped for child care purposes
- Never attending (It is the student’s responsibility to drop the course(s) within the designated refund period if not planning to attend)
- Approval of your request for an appeal may not relieve you of your financial obligations and may affect your financial aid, veteran’s benefit, or other received funding. Please check with your funding source for the impact dropping a course(s) and a tuition refund approval may have on your funding. An appeal only reviews tuition related charges, not charges related to other items such as books, refund received, etc.
- Tuition Refund Appeals for Financial Aid recipients will not be reviewed until the end of the term in accordance with Financial Aid adjustment processes. Check with the Financial Aid Office to see how dropping course(s) impacts your aid. The granting of an appeal could result in owing a balance for FA recipients.
- All decisions made through the Sinclair Community College Tuition Refund Appeal Committee are final. A student has an opportunity to re-appeal if new information or documentation is provided.
- Partial refunds may be given based on the date of formal withdrawal, presented circumstances, and documentation.
- The Committee meets only once toward the end of a term and an email notification of the decision will be sent to your Sinclair email within 14 business days of the committee meeting. An email could be sent sooner if there are reasons that warrant it (e.g. did not meet the criteria to have a tuition refund appeal reviewed). Please be sure to check your Sinclair email for information concerning your tuition refund appeal. An appeal submitted the day of or after the scheduled committee meeting will not be reviewed until the next committee meeting.
- A refund appeal has no impact on the W grade. A “W” will remain on your record and appear on transcripts. If you are requesting a grade change, you must file an Academic Petition with the Vice President and Provost Office; call 937-512-2522 with questions.
Return completed Tuition Refund Appeal Form, along with required documentation to:
Sinclair Community College
444 West Third Street
Dayton, OH 45402
Forms may also be faxed to 937-512-5010 or submitted online.
Call 937-512-2606 with questions.