Skip to Content

Procurement Card (P-Card)

Note: For declined P-card issues outside normal business hours, please call 937-512-5971.


What types of purchases can I make with my P-Card?

Purchases may be made at merchants and suppliers who accept Visa.
Examples of the types of purchases the P-Card may be used for include:.

  • Office and lab supplies
  • Equipment maintenance and repair without a contract/agreement
  • Books and multimedia
  • Dues/Memberships/Subscriptions/Renewals
  • Auto rentals through a contract the College has with a commercial rental car provider and with preapproval from Accounting
  • Gasoline for rental vehicles(If preapproved by General Accounting Manager)
  • Certain registration fees and deposits
    • Registration for workshops/webinars/seminars, which are held online only, may be transacted on the P-Card.
    • Registration for workshops/seminars with a facilitator, either ON or OFF CAMPUS, is considered a travel expense and requires preapproval from Accounting Department.
How should I address my shipping label and/or packing slip for P-Card purchases?

The complete delivery address, including department and room number.
For example, an order placed by John Doe should be addressed to:

Sinclair Community College
PE Dept. – Building 8, Room 023
444 West Third Street
Dayton, OH  45402

What is a General Ledger (GL) Account Number? (Example: 10-3551-53100-0000)
Explanation list of General Ledger Account Numbers
10 – The first set of numbers represents the FUND for the money.
Fund 10 is the College’s regular fund.
Most departments have their money in Fund 10.
However, some departments may have them in other funds.
Grants, for instance, are always identified as Fund 30.
3551 – The second set of numbers represents the DEPARTMENT NUMBER.
In this instance, it is Purchasing’s department number.
Each department has their own number.
53100 – The third set of numbers is called the OBJECT CODE and represents the type expenditures.
For instance, if Purchasing wants to buy office supplies, they would use the number 53100.
View the list of Frequently Used Object Codes.
0000 – The fourth set of numbers represents the PROJECT NUMBER.
If there is no project number associated with the work you’re doing - use “0000”.
What are my reporting requirement for the P-Card?

An e-mail will be sent to each cardholder by the Program Administrator at the end of each billing cycle providing the monthly report submission deadline.
Cardholders must then take following actions:

  1. Log in to and then launch the SAP Concur app.
  2. Follow instructions on Concur home page to compile your report with all required documentation
  3. We recommend that you retain a copy of your report in your department for 5 years.
What are common reasons for my P-Card to be declined?
  • Entering an invalid expiration number and/or security code
  • Maximum dollar amount of a single transaction.
    • This amount will generally be $500.00.
    • Higher limits must be further approved by the Dean or Director
  • Maximum dollar amount that may be charged per month.
    • This amount will generally be $2,000.00.
    • Higher limits must be further approved by the Dean or Director
    • Type of business where the card is used, as defined by the Merchant Category Code (MCC).  Credit card companies classify all merchants by a Merchant Category Code (MCC).  The College has chosen to block certain MCC codes for purchases on the P-Card.  If you attempt to make a purchase with one of these merchants, your transaction will be declined.  Should a legitimate purchase be rejected, contact the Program Administrator to request assistance.
What if I temporarily or permanently leave the College?

When the Cardholder permanently leaves Sinclair, the user must turn in the card to HR during exit interview. If the exit interview is not taking place in-person, the user should shred the card and send an email to P-card Administrator to confirm card was shredded.  The user must complete all outstanding reports and submit with required receipts/documentation prior to leaving.  The P-Card Administrator will cancel the card by notifying the bank.

When an employee is temporarily absent from the office for an extended period of time, best practice is to notify the P-card Administrator to have the limits reduced to $1.00. Upon cardholder’s return to Sinclair, notify P-Card Administrator for reinstatement of standard limits.

What are some safeguards cardholders can employ to keep account information secure?
  • Never email account information.
  • Sign the card as soon as it arrives.
  • Keep the card in a secure location.  Guard the card number carefully; it should be accessible only to the Cardholder.
  • Save receipts and statements in a secure area. (Receipts may contain the card number.)
  • Keep an eye on the card during the transaction and retrieve it as soon as possible.
  • Always know where the card is located.  If misplaced or lost, assume the worst and cancel the card.  Request a new card.
  • Be aware of what is being signed.  A signature can copy through to other slips deliberately placed underneath.
  • Audit all monthly purchases closely. Always monitor account activity at least once per month to make sure all charges shown are legitimate charges.
  • Visit reputable, familiar merchants.
  • Report possible fraud immediately.  Email the P-Card Administrator at
  • Redact account number if you have written it down to fax an order.
  • Do not discard credit card slips in public areas or discard them without shredding.  Thieves can acquire the card number from receipts, slips and statements.
  • Do not give a card number to anyone over the phone unless the recipient is known to be a reputable vendor.