BIO 1111 General Biology I
This course is designed as the first in a series of two general education science courses. Covers basic chemistry and biochemistry; cellular and molecular biology. Three classroom, two lab hours per week.
Division: Science, Mathematics and Engineering
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
Prereqs: DEV 0015 or MAT 0600 AND MAT 0100 OR MAT 1130
- Explain basic cellular thermodynamics, fundamental enzyme kinetics, cell respiration, fermentation, and photosynthesis.
- Identify and describe fundamental elements and molecules in context to biologically important structures, chemical reactions, and physiological processes.
- Describe and differentiate the structure and function of major components relating to prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
- Demonstrate an awareness of both the power of the scientific process and its limitations and an awareness of communication as an integral part of the scientific way of knowing, both between and among scientists, and between scientists and the rest of society.
- Explain and illustrate cell reproduction, eukaryotic cell cycle, patterns of inheritance, and gene expression.
Credit Hours: 4
Classroom Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 2