DIT 1105 Introduction to Nutrition & Dietetics
Exploration of the nutrition and dietetics profession. Introduces the professional organization and structure as well as supporting professional nutrition organizations. Covers credentialing and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Code of Ethics. Clarifies the roles and requirements of different nutrition professionals. Utilizes an expert panel discussion venue with area nutrition professionals in various practice roles. Investigates areas of employment and advanced degree programs. Students review the Policies and Procedures for the Nutrition and Dietetics department. Student initiate a professional e-portfolio, which is maintained throughout many Sinclair programs.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Nutrition and Dietetics
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
- Describe methods by which the Choose My Plate can be used as a tool for nutrition education.
- Given ethical situations, recommend appropriate responses compliant with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) Code of Ethics.
- Differentiate between the dietitian, dietetic technician and dietary manager; their function, responsibilities, education requirements and credentials.
- Explain the function of a portfolio for professional development and lifelong learning.
- Acknowledge the Policies and Procedures for the Nutrition and Dietetics department after an in-class comprehensive review.
Credit Hours: 1
Classroom Hours: 1